Lucas Browne is eyeing a showdown against WBA ‘regular’ heavyweight champion Daniel Dubois, following his recent win over Junior Fa.
Browne is ranked at #15 with the WBA behind Dubois, following a one round demolition over Junior Fa on the undercard of Devin Haney’s victory over George Kambosos Jr to become undisputed lightweight champion in Melbourne earlier this month.
The 43-year-old previously held the belt after stopping Ruslan Chagaev in 2016, but was stripped after testing positive for the banned substance, clenbuterol.
However, Browne insists he is keen to regain the title and would be open to facing the Brit, who stopped former champion Trevor Bryan in four rounds in Miami earlier this month.
“My manager is onto it at the moment,” Browne said to SunSport.
“Going into the Fa fight, I was top 15 in the WBA.
“Now defending that title I’m assuming I might bump up one or two places there. I am eligible and I would love to fight for my old title and actually give it a good go.
“Dubois is very good, don’t get me wrong, but I’m not afraid of the man, I’d definitely come to bang, come to win.
“I want to win my old title back. It is something I am chasing.”
Dubois, 24, has put himself in line for a shot at the winner of the upcoming world heavyweight title rematch between Oleksandr Usyk and Anthony Joshua, with Usyk defending his WBA ‘super’, WBO, IBF and IBO heavyweight titles in Saudi Arabia on August 20.
‘Dynamite’ is also open to a rematch with the only person to beat him in the professional ranks, Joe Joyce.
“That’s on my hitlist,” Dubois told talkSPORT.
“I want to right that wrong and show that I’m an improved fighter.
“I’m twice the man I was and I’ve just come on leaps and bounds.
“That’s in the past now, I’m a new man today.
“There were a lot of things around that fight. Talking about training and a just lot of other things that I don’t want to go into.
“It’s in the past now and I’m a man of the future.”